Powder Horn is a resource course designed to introduce Scouting’s adult leaders and youth to the exciting program possibilities for their unit. The course supports the mission of strengthening units so they can achieve the mission of the Boy Scouts of America. Powder Horn is not a personal development course or a team-building experience. Its purpose is to educate the youth and adult Scouting leaders about specific high-adventure skills, to connect them to resources to deliver those skills, and to get them excited about delivering those skills in an exciting, challenging way to youth.
The Powder Horn course is designed to help your unit by exposing older youth and adult leaders to safely conducted outdoor/high-adventure activities of a fun and challenging nature. The course provides an introduction to the resources needed to successfully lead youth through a program of outdoor adventure and is based upon giving participants an exposure to some outdoor/high-adventure activities. It is not a certification event. It is for any youth or adult interested in experiencing a unit-level, high-adventure program. The purpose of a Powder Horn course includes:
- Safe participation in fun and challenging outdoor activities
- An introduction to resources that can improve a unit’s program
- Exposure to new and exciting high-adventure activities
- Help in delivering the promise at the unit level
- Promoting youths’ and adults’ creativity when delivering high-adventure programs
Who may attend a Powder Horn course
- Must be a registered youth or adult member of the Boy Scouts of America.
- Youth must be 14 years of age (or have joined a Venturing crew if 13 years of age and completed eighth grade).
- Be aware that Boy Scouts are not permitted to do some things that a registered Venture crew member of the same age can do. For instance Pistols are permitted for Venture crew members but not Boy Scouts.
What training you need to have to attend a Powder Horn Course
- Youth Protection
- Hazardous Weather
- Climb on Safely
- Safety Afloat
- Safe Swim Defense Training
- Trained for your scouting position
- Youth must have completed the unit’s version of leadership training (Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops or Crews, etc.). National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is required for youth staff position
For more information visit www.powderhornalabama.com